This site requires Javascript

Please enable Javascript in order to use this site properly. Thank you!

It looks like you're using an out of date browser.

In order to provide you the best web experience possible, please update your browers to their most up to date version, or change your browser to Chrome, Firefox, or Opera.

Moving Agriculture To The Classroom

MAC - Dairy Module 

MAC - Wheat Module 

For inquiries or to reserve the MAC trailer for your school or organization, please contact Peggy Moore 208-239-4271

Farm Kids & City Kids: If you grew up in the 1950’s there was an 82% chance that you either lived on a farm or lived in a farming community. In the year 2050, it is estimated that only 18% of the population will live in such a rural setting. While agriculture is growing as an industry, children’s understanding of where their food and fiber come from is gradually diminishing. In the old days, if you asked a child where butter comes from, they would have pointed to the cow in the pasture because they had seen the cow milked and the butter churned. Today, a growing number of children may think no farther than the refrigerated section at Wal-Mart. The truth is, both children and adults use consumable and non-consumable products that come from agriculture every day. It just may take a little education and perhaps a little fun to help us realize how connected we are to farms and ranches.

What is the MAC Trailer?
The Moving Agriculture to the Classroom (MAC) trailer brings a fun and interactive experience for children to learn more about agriculture.

What is the target age group?
This program was specifically designed for children in grades 1-5. However, many of the visual aids could be used for all ages.

Where is the program held?
Lesson modules can easily be transported from the trailer into a school classroom or other buildings. Because of the size and weight of some of the visual aids, it is recommended that access to the room not require extensive stairs.

Is there any cost for this program?
In most cases, there is no cost to have this program at a school or other function. However, some activities will allow children to make their own food which requires a few basic ingredients. Providing those ingredients will be coordinated with local Farm Bureau members and the school or organization requesting the programs.

How long do the modules take?
The MAC program is flexible depending on how many interactive activities are desired. Typically, an organization should plan for about 30-45 minutes per activity. However, lessons can easily be adapted to a class period.

How large a group can participate in each activity?
Again, the program is flexible, but optimal capacity is between 10 and 30 children per activity. This program allows for two or three activities to be going on simultaneously depending on the availability of supervising adults.

Are there limited reservation dates?
There are no date limitations for when the trailer can be reserved, but Farm Bureau’s coordinator will try to schedule schools or organizations in the same region together to save on fuel and travel expenses.
For inquiries or to reserve the MAC trailer for your school or organization, please contact Peggy Moore 208-239-4271

Meet Maggie & Molly
Maggie & Molly are lifelike fiberglass Holstein cows that simulate a hand-milking experience. Milking is only the first step in this lesson. Children are taught about the wide range of products that come from milk. Each child is given a small container to transform cream into butter.

The Big Book of Wheat
Have you ever seen a book that opens up eight-feet wide and 4 feet tall? This section teaches children how the world’s most widely eaten food is produced. Each page comes with fun and intriguing questions about the process and machinery. After a brief lesson on wheat, the children will get the opportunity to grind wheat using individual hand grinders and then watch as that wheat is turned into pancakes.
For safety reasons, only adults will be allowed to cook on the griddles.

Water Diorama
A large diorama of a watershed allows the children to see the importance of precipitation, dams, and the natural cycle of water. This display has real running water and shows how water moves through the environment including mountain streams, rivers, and reservoirs.
Facilitators will show the children different ways to use the water for both agricultural and non-agricultural uses.

Earth as an Apple
The world population is growing faster than ever and the land we can farm is decreasing. In this module you learn that whole world is fed on a tiny sliver of land. How can we feed 7 billion of people today and how will farmers be able to feed 10 billion people in 40 years? These answers can be found by listening to ideas in the Earth as an Apple lesson

Wheat Lesson Plan Dairy Lesson Plan Earth Is An Apple Lesson Plan Water Module Lesson Plan Overall Setup Plan MAC Brochure

Social Media

Still can't find what you are looking for? Find by topic:
Swipe to see more